Skip to main content

Kentucky Blue Grass Fescue mix,or Fescue

Tall Turf Fescue/KBG blend or just Fescue



Disclosure: As an affiliate I receive compensation from the companies whose products I review. 
Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”.





If your not used to or familiar with tall turf fescue by itself .Kentucky blue grass blend ,or just  a fine fescue then youve come to the right place.


     Fine fescue - will be chewings fescue,creeping red fescue,and hard fescue .Of course there are more fine fescues. Sometimes you will find these in a mix at your local store. Fine fescue is great in shade,under trees even pine trees,and great in  sandy and acidic soils. Fine fescue also does not have to be fertilized as much or irrigated as much as Tall Turf Fescue or kbg. Fine Fescue looks great as you see in my lawn above under the pine trees in the shade.


     Fine fescue does has its drawbacks it needs to be reseeded yearly to fill in and get that lush look you saw of my yard. Fine fescue also is not that great with a lot of traffic. Also in full Sun it does not do well. So try not to sow any fine fescue in full sun. I only use it in shady areas and you should too.


    Tall Turf Fescue-has a nice dark green color and is fine to medium textured more coarse opposed to fine fescue as you know fine fescue is fine textured.
    Tall Fescue looks great  and does great in full sun. Tall Turf fescue also needs less irrigation as the newer varieties have deeper roots able to handle drought much better .


   Kentucky Blue Grass-tall turf blend

 I should not have to say much about kentucky blue grass as it is one of Americas favorites . It creates a dense thick carpet of grass because of its rhizomes and  as a result you get a nice coarse texture which create a beautiful lawn.  The beauty of it is you dont have to reseed every year like with fine fescue.

I would not recommend you to plant kentucky blue grass by itself unless you  just bought some land and were starting from scratch .As any grass seed variety  by itself will have some drawbacks either not doing well in drought in winter or irrigation levels.

As you can see i am a sucker for bluegrass. It reminds me of when i was a kid and played soccer all of the fields had kentucky bluegrass and its the kind of grass you can walk on barefoot and feel great doing it with its lush dark green thick lawn.

So i did not have the money to just put down midnight kentucky blue grass as its too expensive. I went with a blend of bluegrass and tall turf fescue this way you get the best of both worlds.

So to recap if you need something for shade only get fine fescue,if you need something for full sun get Tall Turf fescue if you want a nicer more manicured look go with Tall Turf Fescue with a  kbg blend. If your looking for a place where you can buy this type grass seed you can get it here.






Comments

  1. I read your full description and I understand how to maintain my garden. I will follow all steps on here. I think I will success from your tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. im glad i was able to help any questions just post a question in the comment section or anything else youd like me to post an article about let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. im glad i was able to help any questions just post a question in the comment section or anything else youd like me to post an article about let me know.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to sow seed for cool season grass

How to plant grass seed I get this question all the time so i figured id share my expertise on this .The bottom line is nothing will happen unless you prepare the seed bed. I see a lot of people throw seed on the ground and nothing happens and they wonder why! Or they prepare the seed bed then dont cover the seed with soil or add fertilizer or mulch the area you have to do all the steps or else your lawn will look like this after 2 weeks. Notice how only 60% of the grass seed germinated here? its because someone did not prepare the seed bed correctly so always prepare the seed bed so you wont have to water the grass for another 2 weeks then run out and order more grass seed. #1 Prepare the seedbed - Remove any debris-leaves-twigs-weeds-bring in top soil if you need it. Work in some peatmoss and or top soil to your soil with garden rake.Aerate.Throw down some starter fertilizer. it really does not matter if you put the seed down first or starter fertilizer as long as you ha

The grass is greener on the other side

It is greener on the other side    You know that saying! dont you ??? It does hold some truth. Believe it or not but today during the heat wave we are having, I must have seen close to 50 people cutting there grass in the heat ,in the sun close to 90 to 95 degrees. And tomorrow its supposed to be 95 as the high and im sure I will see more people cutting there grass. I know its weird in a way. You see the thing is cutting your grass in a heat wave or anything close to 90 degrees is the last thing youd want to do.     Actually you would be doing more harm than good as it would be restricting the grass plants from being able to produce energy to grow.And would turn a  your lawn  a bit spotty and yellowish brown. So the best thing to do is to cut the lawn at night if rain is in the forecast the next day or just wait a week to 10 days until the heat wave is over. My neighbors want that golf putting green look I do not know what the fascination is with the putting green